About Me

My photo
A writer by predilection, an aunt by blessing and a friend by choice, Shelley has spent many years journaling before sitting down to draft her first novel. She has a B.A. in English discourse and is currently working on her third romantic-suspense, the title of which will be announced soon pending publication. Shelley is a member of the Romance Writers of America as well as her RWA state chapter of the Maryland Romance Writers.
"I love story-telling. It's a way to live an experience through the eyes of a character." - Shelley N. Greene

Friday, April 21, 2017

R is for RIBBON, ROPE & TEXTURE #AtoZChallenge


Hi to those who have been following this blog, and a big shout out to all my fellow A2Zers!

*Intake of breath*  It’s FRRRiiidddayyyy!

To kick it off right, I have another A to Z blog challenge, Scrapbook Edition, letter for you – R is for RIBBON, ROPE & TEXTURE.

This letter is short and sweet, so let’s jump right in. Our first R is for RIBBON.
My introduction to ribbon came as I was working on another sewing project, and a visit to the fabric store got me hooked.

I’ve always believed that albums should be held – first by me when I’m creating it, and then by others later in life. I love how ribbon and satin embellishments give a shine and texture to the page that you just want to reach out and touch.

Admittedly, I’ve just started experimenting with ribbon this year, which is evident by the examples I’m about to show – they’re all from my 2017 album. (*sheepish grin*)

The first time I lined off a page I used super-fine ribbon, and transitioned into the bottom area with layered vellum.  
In my P Post, I showed a mermaid page. Here, I really started playing with color-on-color. I love how the two shades of purple contrast one another. J
I sort of followed the same pattern here with a two-toned blue for a “planets” page.

(Hmm - I have a lot of halved pages this year. Blogging makes you analyze your patterns.)

This last example is yet another half page, but this time I used a bright ribbon to separate the dark and light paper.

This page will be part of my A to Z Blog Challenge spread.
I have to scrapbook about how I spent a month blogging about scrapbooking…
 

That sounded better in my head. Okay, moving on.

Our second R is for rope. This also a fairly new textile for me.

To be honest, I haven’t officially used rope on a page yet but I have one prepped.

If you have utilized rope or twine effectively in the past, and have tips and techniques to share, please leave a comment below.

Lastly, I wanted to touch on texture. Like ribbon and rope, any paper or add-on that adds texture is a fun addition to your page. As seen in previous posts, I’ve added glitter paper, ridged cardstock, burlap and even linen to my pages.

I got a big kick out of using velvet paper on my Valentine’s Day projects – it’s so fuzzy and touchable.
Whether it’s ribbon, rope, or a unique texture of paper, they all add wonderful dimension to your scrapbooks.

P.S. I made an side-angle page just to change it up - Lol:


Well, that does it for today. Tomorrow finishes out week three of the A to Z Blog Challenge. It’s gone by fast!

If you have the opportunity, please check out my fellow AtoZers blog pages, there so many great topics being presented this year. You can find them on Social Media by searching A to Z Blog Challenge or with the #AtoZChallenge.

And please stop back by tomorrow – S is for SEQUENCE and STORY PROGRESSION.

See you soon!

-         SNG




1 comment:

  1. I have used ribbon often but I have a hard time making a Bow. Texture is something I try to do with texture paste and stencil. It works quite well with cards and scrap booking.

    ReplyDelete