About Me

My photo
A writer by predilection, an aunt by blessing and a friend by choice, Shelley has spent many years journaling before sitting down to draft her first novel. She has a B.A. in English discourse and is currently working on her third romantic-suspense, the title of which will be announced soon pending publication. Shelley is a member of the Romance Writers of America as well as her RWA state chapter of the Maryland Romance Writers.
"I love story-telling. It's a way to live an experience through the eyes of a character." - Shelley N. Greene

Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for MANUSCRIPT


The first time I’d heard the word manuscript was in a FB conversation with another author. 

            “How’s your MS going?” she said.

            “My MS, what's that?” I asked back, completely clueless.

            She patiently went on to explain, at which point I felt greener than pre-ripe banana, but I'd much rather be informed by a friend than say, an editor.     *facepalm*  


            I warned you in the beginning that I learn things the hard way.  

            And so MS stands for manuscript.  You know, that stack of paper that when published is your book. 

Image Source

Kinda important to know, right?

            At the time I’d written for an online website for a couple of years prior, at the beginning of my journey to try to get published.  The lingo used in the digital publishing world differed slightly, like the variance between AMA and MLA writing formats, so I hadn't heard the term used much before.

Since that discovery however, I’ve noted that manuscript guidelines are pretty straightforward:

·        Single page, front only
·        12-pont font
·        1-inch margins on all sides
·        Double-spaced (to let your copy editor work his/her grammar and syntax magic)
·         New Times Roman and Courier font are the most commonly used.  Possibly Georgia.
·        Check with your publisher as to the max/min word count required (typically based sub-genre and story type).

  
That’s it wrapped in a bow.  MS--know it, live it.  Don’t get caught without it.

Please come back Monday:  N is for NARRATIVE VOICE.  

See you there!

-         SNG

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Shelley! This is so funny! What a great story to share in interviews when you're a rich and famous author! ;) Wishing you the best of luck with your novel. Hope you're having a great weekend and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good, quick tutorial! Manuscripts in a nutshell. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Direct and to the point: love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ms is coming along, thank you. I managed a new scene today. Soon, I'll spend my free time finishing the story, but for now, I'm visiting.

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete