About Me

My photo
A writer by predilection, an aunt by blessing and a friend by choice, Shelley has spent many years journaling before sitting down to draft her first novel. She has a B.A. in English discourse and is currently working on her third romantic-suspense, the title of which will be announced soon pending publication. Shelley is a member of the Romance Writers of America as well as her RWA state chapter of the Maryland Romance Writers.
"I love story-telling. It's a way to live an experience through the eyes of a character." - Shelley N. Greene

Monday, April 23, 2012

S is for SUBTEXT



            This is Saturday’s entry submitted late Sunday night.  I flip-flopped the post schedule, taking Saturday as the free day; I hope that’s okay according to blog fest rules.   It’s just been a long week and that worked out better for me.

            That and I looked at my A- Z schedule and decided that if I do this again next year I’m not allowed to pick the list of letters anymore. 

Real letter list.  ;0)


             I should have of learned with analogy and narrative voice… I like the tricky topics, and tonight is another whopper.  S is for SUBTEXT.

When I think of subtext, I break down the word in my mind.  SUB meaning “below” or “hidden,” and TEXT meaning “written” or “spoken.”

And that is what subtext is: the unspoken, subconscious meaning of writing.

            Subtext can be found everywhere in literature and in your favorite novels.  Some books have subtext used throughout and some have it only here and there, but almost all subtext is seen using metaphor.  The narrator is saying or describing one thing, but the subliminal message is implying something else.

           And your writing needn't be real elaborate or overly detailed, it simply has to offer a deeper meaning to the literal.

Tomorrow I will take the English literature hat off, I promise!   Lol.

Please come back—T is for TENSE.

Goodnight!  :0)

            

4 comments:

  1. By your list, it looks as though we picked quite a few of the same subjects to write about during the A to Z. I'm gonna have to go back and peruse your earlier posts.

    I'm a new follower via the Challenge. Nice to meet you, Shelley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,

      Thanks for stopping by. I will check out your letters as well, it's been a fun list. :0)

      Shelley

      Delete
  2. Hi Shelley, Nice to meet a fellow romance writer via the A-Z challenge. I decided not to write about writing, but rather the area where I live. Last year, I wrote about the enneagram, which was way more popular. But it's good, I think, to vary the themes each year. It's a chance to pick up a wider audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy,

    Nice to you, too. Your theme sounds cool, I'm going to check out your blog. My CP participated last year and changed up the topics this year. It's been fun.

    Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to seeing you around. :0)

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete