About Me

My photo
A writer by predilection, an aunt by blessing and a friend by choice, Shelley has spent many years journaling before sitting down to draft her first novel. She has a B.A. in English discourse and is currently working on her third romantic-suspense, the title of which will be announced soon pending publication. Shelley is a member of the Romance Writers of America as well as her RWA state chapter of the Maryland Romance Writers.
"I love story-telling. It's a way to live an experience through the eyes of a character." - Shelley N. Greene

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

I is for IMPRESSIONS #AtoZChallenge


Hi and welcome back!

April is full of scrapbooking know-how as I blog every day, each day corresponding to a letter in the alphabet. Today, I is for IMPRESSIONS.

Impressions are made of stamps and ink. Any way you can impress on a page.

Along with die cuts, stamping is a technique I’ve really gotten into lately. The tool of many card makers, stamping is a fun way to add to your scrapbook pages. Like cropping tools, the types of stamps have developed over the years. In the beginning stamping consisted mostly of rubber stamps mounted on wooden blocks.


Now, many stamps come in clear cling variation, which allows you to control and position the images better.

Inks have advanced as well, offering a choice of formulations, which can be used to shade and color backgrounds as well as imprint images.

There’s many ways to incorporate impressions into your scrapbooking.

This first example is simple, but makes for a pretty accent.

I don’t traditionally create a music page, but every once in a while I’ll have a year full of songs with lyrics and symbolism that speak to me.

One song that I’ve had on repeat is called “Feels Like Home.” 

I found a stamp in a day planner stamp set that matched the song title, so I added it to the page. Just a clean imprint, cut out, and adhere with some foam or a pop dot. The result was perfect.

And if you don’t want simple, you can go all-out with stamping, too.

For my second example I utilized a Hero Arts - My Monthly Hero card making kit (March 2017). It’s a spring stamp set that I couldn’t resist picking up (the bunnies were too cute).

I stamped and colored several wabbits, as well as a bunch of the vegetables.


The kit came with a die cut that can be used to create the “dirt” (and the water I showed in the B post). I assembled the pieces, and glued down with Ranger Matte Multi-Medium. I backed up the free floating areas (the ears and the stems) with slivers of foam, so they would pop.

Looking at it, you would think I used stickers, that’s how realistic impressions can be.

The page turned out better than I’d imaged, and a great example for this post. J

And that wraps up our letter I - I thank you for checking out my blog!

I'm excited for this weeks' letters - they are heart of scrapbooking, so I hope you’ll stop back by tomorrow – J is JOURNALING.

See you soon!

-         SNG




2 comments:

  1. I love my wooden stamps and like them actually better than the peel stamps because, after a while they don't stick as well and can even warp a bit. I love your creation here..very cute and love the background

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Birgit! You're right - the traditional rubber stamps also hold up well when working with permanent inks. There's interesting pros and cons to each type. Thank you for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete