About Me

My photo
A writer by predilection, an aunt by blessing and a friend by choice, Shelley has spent many years journaling before sitting down to draft her first novel. She has a B.A. in English discourse and is currently working on her third romantic-suspense, the title of which will be announced soon pending publication. Shelley is a member of the Romance Writers of America as well as her RWA state chapter of the Maryland Romance Writers.
"I love story-telling. It's a way to live an experience through the eyes of a character." - Shelley N. Greene

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

W is for WATERCOLOR #AtoZChallenge


Hi and welcome the home stretch of my A to Z blog challenge!

My theme for the month of April is scrapbooking, and today’s letter offers more “project within a project” fun – W is for WATERCOLOR.



Watercolor is a creative way to create your own card stock. To start, the best paper is the thicker grade kind that is made specifically for watercolor.

I found a few brands that offer watercolor paper in 12x12 size for the same cost as traditional paper.

The next equipment you’ll need is watercolor paints. There are many varieties to choose from but I found that the basic, inexpensive, kid-grade paints work pretty well.

 

You can experiment with color combinations and blending to create a mélange of backgrounds.

I find watercolor to be a relaxing and forgiving art. There are few “mistakes” that you make that can’t be smoothed out, and the water base allows for easy clean up.

If you want to go fancy with your watercolors, there are more professional formulations available that give vibrant, smooth application, as well as offer more designer colors like gold and pearl. 


And just like regular scrapbooking paper, the dried watercolor sheets can be cut for other uses.


Here I use die cuts to make a sun and rainbow from my watercolor art.


Watercolors are a flexible and fun way to add flair to any scrapbook.

Well, our W post was short and sweet, which means we are down to our final THREE letters!  We’re X-Ying it to the Z-end, folks. It’s been a journey. J

As always, please check out my fellow AtoZers posts – I’ve seen some amazing themes out there, so if you're ready for more posts please search the keyword “A to Z Blog Challenge 2017”.

And please stop back by tomorrow for the modern tool that scrapbookers use – X is for Xerox and Home Printing.

-         SNG

13 comments:

  1. Interesting. I'm not a scrapbooker but I do like to dabble in the arts. Watercolor is fun. I like the idea of using the paper for another purpose. Like Eric Carle, the incredible artist and author of children's books.
    My Virtual Vineyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val - Nice to meet you! Oh, I have the hungry little caterpillar in my mind now. :) Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of painting - but fear doing it. Why is that?
    Thank you for giving me permission to use the "cheap" stuff and just play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cozy! Me, too. It is intimidating. I try to remember that all life began from chaos - and to wear an old shirt. Lol. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. Watercolours are my preferred art medium. Alas, I don't get much opportunity to paint at the moment.

    --Her Grace, Heidi from Romance Spinners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! That wonderful - I wish I had more skill at it. Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  4. Watercolor frustrates me because I want to be more in control of the outcome than I have found possible with it. I like your idea of using it as a base for other things including the die cuts. Maybe I will try once more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lorig! I hear you - the control is tricky. It was definitely a different way to create. Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  5. While I don't scrapbook, I do enjoy occasionally using watercolors in my journals. But I didn't realize there were gold and pearl watercolor paints - what a delightful addition that would be. Happy play-filled arting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah! Watercolor in journals sounds so lovely. Thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  6. Ah yes. My best friend is really good with using watercolors to create totally amazing note-cards. She has people who want to buy them because they're so beautiful.

    Visiting from the A to Z Challenge. See my “W” post here: https://lydiahowe.com/2017/04/27/w-is-for-water-and-no-tea-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aidyl! That's so cool - I got inspired by a card making tutorial. I've seen where heat-embossed stamps really hold the watercolors in the lines. I will check out Water and No Tea. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  7. I love watercolours and use a variety of styles and products from markers and paints to distress inks

    ReplyDelete