About Me

My photo
A writer by predilection, an aunt by blessing and a friend by choice, Shelley has spent many years journaling before sitting down to draft her first novel. She has a B.A. in English discourse and is currently working on her third romantic-suspense, the title of which will be announced soon pending publication. Shelley is a member of the Romance Writers of America as well as her RWA state chapter of the Maryland Romance Writers.
"I love story-telling. It's a way to live an experience through the eyes of a character." - Shelley N. Greene

Monday, April 17, 2017

O is for Origami #AtoZchallenge


Hello and welcome to my blog! For the month of April I will be blogging from A to Z, my theme, scrapbooking.

Today’s letter is a fun one – O is for Origami.

Origami is the art of paper folding. Although origami is primarily used for ornaments and crafts, the shapes bridge nicely to scrapbooking, adding an interactive and dimensional element to your page.

When I was growing up, we had friends give origami Christmas ornaments for our tree.
This last year I imitated the sentiment by creating a star tree-topper, and a Blue Heron ornament.

I enjoyed the craft so much that I thought about ways to apply the art to my scrapbook albums.

One way I dabbled with paper folding was with this origami heart.

This heart is just a prototype for practice, I will later create a cream-colored heart that goes with the Valentine’s theme, but I loved how the folds created a hidden pocket.

This would make a great area of hidden journaling, or an “open to view” secret admirer message.

I gave you a preview of this second example back in the D is for Die Cuts post.

This is slated to be my Thanksgiving 2017 page, which includes a 3-D dinner spread.
I stamped each of the place settings, and created an origami “napkin” for each.
The napkin is a small square of coordinating paper that I folded into a triangular shape.
My goal to bring the “napkins” to Thanksgiving dinner and ask each of my loved ones to write down things they are thankful for this year.

Once I’ve collected the squares, I will glue the napkins into place on top of each plate, where the message will be hidden until opened.

I think the pop-up element is so cool, and the idea came from the study of origami.

Well that covers another letter – I thank you for checking out my post. Please leave a comment if you would like, and if you'd like to read more A-Z topics, please search the keywords #AtoZChallenge or @AprilA2Z.
And I hope you'll come tomorrow for more scrapbooking how-to – P is for Punches & Paper.

See you then!

-         SNG

6 comments:

  1. Nice, nice, nice! My best friend does some origami - I never really had enough patience to learn. :) It is a lot of fun to look at though. And good job with what you've made.

    Visiting from the A to Z Challenge. See my "O" post here: https://lydiahowe.com/2017/04/18/o-is-for-outsider-atozchallenge-plus-a-vlog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aidyl! That's so cool. Yes, it does take a lot of practice. Flexible paper, too. Thanks for checking out my post. :)

      Delete
  2. I do like origami but I just never had the patience for that. Cool what you did with it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some truly wonderful work on behalf of the owner of this internet site , perfectly great articles . origami heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. origami

    ReplyDelete